Sunday, April 27, 2008

Nobody Reports on a Monday: Movies and Queens


Nobody’s Opinion: I’m completely bored with Obama and Hillary. I wish they’d go take a cruise ship to Fiji, throw chicken wings at each other across the dinner table, and leave us all alone for awhile. So I’m talking about something else on this Monday…movies.

Have you ever noticed that when you have a favorite movie it ages with you? You can see it at different times in you life, and you see things you never saw before?

For instance: The first time I saw, Gone With the Wind, boy---did I hate Scarlett O’Hara! She was cruel, narcissistic, and manipulative---while Melanie her opposite, was kind, sweet, and had the disposition of a saint! I wanted to be just like Melanie. I was so glad when Rhett finally left Scarlett at the end of the movie, I was shouting, “Serves you right you ninny!”

Then I grew up.

And the older I got, the better Scarlett got to looking, and the more worthless Melanie seemed to be in the scheme of things. As I got older and life got tougher, it was Scarlett, not Melanie that I wanted to have more of in me. It became clear that without the toughness of Scarlett, her whole family would not have survived.

Last night, being bored like I said with politics, I watched “The Queen” with Helen Mirren for the second time. (She won an Oscar, and well deserved) I noticed a few new things…things that made me think: Was history being reported here or changed?

The film is mostly the subject of Princess Diana’s Death, and the scripted reactions of Tony Blair, The Queen, and Prince Charles to her car crash.

While the film did a wonderful job portraying the Royal Family as a royal bunch of pain in the “arses,” it also very much reflected the feelings of everyone on the planet at that time. Since the Queen would not come out and pay any respects to the Princess, people thought she was beyond human. The question of a continuation of the monarchy was posed in the film, and what I noticed the second time around was that very subtly, the institution of monarchy was reinforced as a noble tradition.

The way they did this in the script was truly a work of “art” in itself.

In the film, Prince Charles comes off as a whimpering mummy’s boy, a very kind and loving soul. The real fact is that Prince Charles has always come off just as much a snob as his mother...but not in this film. In this film he is a great guy.

I really don’t think any person in history was mourned as much as Princess Diana, and the reason everyone in the world was in such grief was because in the back of our minds, many thought they had just killed her.

Well, why not? Diana had delivered heirs, and Charles the consummate snob could go and marry his true love, which he did. Diana even said they were going to kill her.

It’s Tony Blair in the film that goes on this sympathy trip in for how the Queen has worked so hard for so many years and how greatly she had done her job.

All that tea drinking...really. Tony Blair saves the monarchy. Paintings on the castle walls, rejoice!

Well, The Queen is no Gone With the Wind, but it did remind me that we have two Queens now running in our own country for President. Obama’s wife certainly acts like a Queen, and Hillary, well, there’s no question she would be a Queen for life if she could.

I just wish we could go back to being a Republic…(sigh)

Only in the movies.

Nobody Perfect: Last week, every one was mad at Jimmy Carter because he was kissing up to all kinds of Hamas leaders. Somebody needs to put some ecstasy in this guys’ coffee. I’m all against drugs…but in his case we should make an exception. I think it’s time, Jimmy got high on something else besides himself.

Nobody Knows; California is on fire….AGAIN! How many times does this make? It started with Bill Clinton was leaving office and hasn’t stopped. So---who is starting these fires, and what’s the real purpose? Is it al-Qaida? Is it illegal Mexicans firefighters trying to get work? Does Ted Turner need more land?

Nobody Cares; If you got to see Craig Fergusion host the National White House Correspondence Dinner…you’d know why I think comedians would make better politicians. Dave Barry runs every year, and every year no one votes for him…What’s wrong with us?

Nobody Wins; Jesse Jackson is closing down New York City with racial riots…AGAIN. If I were Mayor Bloomberg I’d charge every single demonstrator a fine for walking in the city. Hey---he has a fee for everything else?

Nobody's Fool: It seems Cindy McCain’s father’s fortune financed John McCain’s run for the Presidency. Ross Perot, who was good friends with McCain and his first wife, never forgave John McCain for dumping her when he got back from Vietnam.

Evidently, John McCain became Scarlett O’Hara, somewhere in the jungles of Saigon.

And don’t even compare Hillary to Scarlett…Hillary is more like Attila the Hun-- with botox.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home