Sunday, December 07, 2008

The Sea Gulls of K-Mart-The Blood of Our Fathers


Nobody’s Opinion; I didn’t know it till after the fact—but it was the strangest sight I had ever seen---- what in the world?

Sea Gulls. I was seeing sea gulls, in the middle of the afternoon! A whole flock of them, flying at my head while I was standing in a parking lot. There were at least 300 of them. They circled as if lost…hungry. I could have reached up and touched them.

Not such a strange sight in the harbor of Boston…but in the middle of a K-Mart parking lot, in the middle of Missouri?

Sea gulls? The nearest water was the Mississippi, about 45-miles due West.

Those of you who have read me before know I’m quite the bird lover. Once when my little yellow parakeet died, I couldn’t part with him. He’s still in my freezer. Before you think that’s strange, let me remind you that Mina Edison (Thomas Edison’s wife) used to have her pet birds stuffed when they died. She kept them all in a cage on her porch out her back door in Ft. Meyers, Florida---so since I am not married to a taxidermist my little Sunny is still in my freezer.

It will be a good joke to whoever cleans it out after I’m gone.

One must leave some mysteries, don’t you think?

Anyway when I saw those poor birds, I was, of course, in a regular flutter. I looked at my husband and said, “Oh, the poor things are lost! They’re hungry! What in the world are they doing here in Missouri? Let’s go get some bread; quick…we must feed them…poor things!”

Well, you know how well that went over with an ex-Navy Seal. He gently grabbed my arm and took me into the store…to do our ornament shopping.

I think he kept me in there a long time on purpose, because when we came out, they were gone. BUT…there was a whole other flock of about a thousand other birds…

Good thing I wasn’t alone. People on the side of the road would have been witnessing a strange woman pouring bird seed in the small grass turf between the stop signs.

But, getting back to what I didn’t know was much more important than the strange sight of seas gulls in the middle of suburbia. It was the fact that today was the 67th anniversary of Pearl Harbor---the day that over 2,350 Americans lost their lives, which started WWII.
History, is very blatently being put on back burners: on the front burners are...solar panels.

Some days I don’t even look at the calendar. Sometimes I get so lost in whatever project I’m on, I forget what day it is. I usually find out from the radio or TV. But I did look on my calendars today, because my husband remembered it, and sure enough, not one calendar in the house had it marked.

NOT ONE

And the subject did not come up on TV either. No, today it was Obama, Wal-Mart, and the economy.

I remember…when Ronald Reagan was President, you could not have not known that this was Pearl Harbor’s anniversary. During the eight years of Bill Clinton, we had a furious writing of historical history trashing. Clinton had people working full time, rewriting all the history books, because, well…as Dick Morris once said, “Because he could.”

And sadly tonight, as I read all the famous Townhall bloggers, none even gave our Pearl Harbor a mention.

Kim Komando, on the other hand, was the only patriot I could see.

I did not check the liberal papers, but I did think it strange that the Post-Dispatch internet site, actually gave some respect to the day…which shows you how desperate they are for sales.

It’s sad. Obama may have said something…I tend to not watch him when he comes on. But it’s clear, that the memory of Pearl Harbor is going into our background as the veterans slowly die off.

I felt so guilty that I forgot. After all, my dad, and his fathers and brothers fought in that war--so many of our bravest gave their lives.

And right now I’m thinking --- how synchronistic it was for me to have seen sea gulls today, circling over my head---today of all days.

Hey, I grew up in Florida, and spent many a day on the beach, and never had this happen.

And I also wondered how many sea gulls were circling over the Pearl Harbor 67 years ago?---circling over the brave, and the dead.

So, I don’t think I’ll ever forget this day ever again. The sea gulls of K-Mart have left their mark on my brain.

I sure hope those beautiful babies found their way home.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home