Friday, November 03, 2006

Sam Adams and Ladies of Class

Nobody’s Opinion; Let me tell you about a special lady.

Some time ago, between being a little bored and extremely bored, I decided to draw a portrait of a woman that I admired so that I could send it to her. And since her portrait came out so well, I said to myself…well I might as well do her husband too while I’m at it. She might like that.

I do this a lot. If I like someone, I will draw their portrait on a special craft that I do, and I can’t describe it, or I’d have to kill you. (Just kidding, that’s what my husband tells me when I ask about his old days in the Seals.)

Suffice it to say, it takes some time to draw a portrait on this “object.” This “object” is so hard to draw on you feel like your peeling an onion with a dull knife. It’s a major challenge, and I don’t do it often.

Anyway…I got so involved in this project, that I also drew a picture of Mark Twain because I knew this lady liked Mark Twain. Just for fun, I drew a portrait of Babe Ruth and Willy Maze as I knew she also liked baseball.

Now, because I was on a roll, I drew three more portraits of people I don’t even remember now, and put them in an envelope and mailed them off feeling pleased as punch about myself, and then just forgot about it.

Then one day, I got a letter from her secretary. The letter said that they were sorry, but this lady could not make any endorsements.

Wow---this was funny I thought, because I had put at least five days of hard work in these portraits, and they were meant to be “gifts.” I thought I had made that clear.

So, I wrote the secretary of this lady back and said…oh NO…you got it all wrong, these are hers to keep. Actually, the one I did of her was really, really good.

But, if she didn’t like the portraits I said, please send them back to me because I put some time in them and would like to keep them. I enclosed a huge envelope smeared with about thirty stamps for their return.

Two days later, I got a call…from her secretary. She said she was so sorry, so very, very sorry…she owed me a big apology. You see, somehow my letter had been read by someone else in the office and that young girl did not understand the letter, and her boss (the lady) was a REAL stickler on this kind of thing and insisted she call me and apologize and thank me…and she keep going on and on as if she, the “secretary,” had committed the most horrendous mistake a “secretary” can make in her secretary life.

Yeah, here I was, as you all know by now, a complete nobody, being called by Laura Bush’s private secretary, who kept talking to me on the phone like I was actually “important.”

Right away I felt guilty for somehow causing this mess in the first place. This poor lady…working with the first lady of our country had to have enough pressure going on in her busy day, and she had to stop and call some nobody like me to try to explain, and even get forgiveness, for some simple mistake that wasn’t even her fault.

If course I laughed and said…please tell the first Lady to read the letter.

In the letter I basically tried to be lighthearted and told her that she must be sure to have the President mandate that his future statue which would go into statuary hall after his Presidency, did not go next to poor Sam Adams, which was relegated down in the basement in front of the ladies bathroom.

I explained that Bill Clinton’s statue would be better in the basement in front of the ladies restroom, and thought that I, a nobody, had actually stated a very important fact that was important to the future citizens of America.

And--- since her husband had so much on his mind, I thought maybe it would be something she could make sure of on her own, because future citizens would be thankful. After all, with Iran, Iraq, Democrats, Hurricanes, the twins, the dogs, the decorations…the events…it might not get though of.

Now, as we watch all this nastiness going on in the upcoming elections, I think about that day. There is no doubt in my mind that Hillary Clinton would never have given her “secretary” strict orders to call somebody like me unless I had sent her a check for at least $100,000---and maybe not even then.

And that is why Laura Bush is a very special Lady. Which means our President certainly has excellent taste. And the fact that she raised two very normal and beautiful girls shows just how much we can all admire her.

She did write me back a short note. She mentioned, that she thought I was “humorous!”

I really don’t know why she thought my suggestion of planning their future statues was funny, because I was serious. I was still upset about Sam.

This is our first lady. No matter what happens, she retains the highest picture of real class, and we are so lucky to have her.

I’m also sure, that if we only knew all the people that our President and first Lady have personally reached out and touched in some way, we would be shocked, but I am sure we will never know.

When she walked down to the Capitol in her pretty white suit after the last election, I thought she was the most beautiful first lady that had ever graced the White House.

I still do. When the White House takes the time to call a nobody---well, that says an awful lot about who’s in it. And that’s why I believe the President when he says he is doing the best he can to protect us. Because, not only does he have the Democrats to fight in this, something tells me if he wasn’t doing his best…in that hellhole called Washington D.C., he just might get a call, from a very special secretary. And that’s a thought before you vote in the next elections.

Nobody’s Perfect; Once in a while I do get these urges to write famous people. Once, when I heard a speech by a wonderful man on Rush’s radio broadcast, I wrote him a four-page letter about how moved I was by it, poor man.

A month later, Charlton Heston wrote me back. I have it framed and on the wall next to Laura’s. in my office.

Nobody Knows; Laura Bush also is an avid bird watcher I’ve read. And I don’t know if anyone else has noticed, but since Laura became first Lady, the libraries have improved immensely. Something tells me that’s not a coincidence.

Nobody Cares; That’s a picture of me up top, taken in the year 2000. I was in the Capitol and had just come out of the downstairs ladies restroom, when to my surprise, there was Sam Adams. I had the janitor take my picture next to Sam Adams. As you can see…I thought it was really funny. No WONDER I couldn’t find it upstairs.

For someone who practically started the whole revolution…I thought it was rather absurd. Maybe someday they will move the poor guy upstairs to the main room where he belongs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home