Friday, January 02, 2009

Recipe for Dogs


Nobody Cares: “Look boy, my sister sends dog recipe.”

Dear Pang Li:

It has been a while since I wrote you…but sometimes I miss you very much, dear brother. Father says they don’t really know where you went. I certainly hope this letter gets to you. He said you volunteered to watch the borders of Mongolia, right after you found your new puppy.

Did I tell you we have been in America now for over twenty years? Chang and I still have the restaurant that we started so long ago. We did very well for many years, but now business has slowed down, and we are having trouble. We even miss the customers that always order the same thing every single time.

Of course that drives Chang nuts. He still cooks and I still have trouble sometimes with the English language, but we can’t complain too much. After all, we now have two lovely girls. Did I tell you that Mai Lee is going to graduate from high school? Pai is now in seventh grade, and they speak American very well. In that respect, America has been good to us.

Do you remember so long ago when Chang and I came to America? We came here because we heard that the old people here were treated so much better than in China, and were taken care of.

Well, it’s really so sad now, I never thought I would see this in America. So many of my older customers, people that are my friends, they are losing their houses because the property taxes are so high. The taxes are so high, they cannot afford their medicine. They cannot sometimes even afford food. They don’t want to lose their houses, but some will have to move because they cannot afford them anymore. Some of their stories make me want to cry---in fact they come in and cry because they can’t afford to eat here anymore. And we have raised our prices only a little.

Anyway, we hear that China is now more prosperous than America, now, is that true? I really miss you, and every one so much, especially our father and mother.

I also miss eating dog. They don’t eat dog here in America. In fact, I have two dogs now, and Pang--- you were right!! Our dogs are like our family here. I have two now. Dogs are deeply loved here in America, and now, I wouldn’t eat my dogs for all the tea in China! (Sorry, I make silly joke!)

My dear brother…we hear it is easier now to visit China. After the children are grown, we are thinking about moving back, once they can support themselves.

Until then, please write me if you can. Try to stay alive!

All My Love,

Papu


(This made-up letter was based on a conversation with MY favorite Chinese restaurant lady, whose loyal patron I have been for over fifteen years. And I’m the customer she has always told to…"Try something NEW!” Due to the economy, she no longer says that. She is one of my most favorite people, and she truly loves dogs, and her customers, although, not necessarily in that order.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home